Post-Significant Weight Loss
Losing a significant amount of weight is an amazing accomplishment, but it is not without struggles. Patients who have reached their goal weight quickly want to find happiness and comfort in their improved bodies. However, it’s all too often that these men and women feel weighed down and trapped by the remaining excess skin and soft tissue. The sagging skin and residual fat are constant reminders of the way things used to be. This is why the restorative contouring procedures that we offer in our clinic are so important. By removing the last vestiges of obesity, we help these patients reclaim confidence in their appearance and enjoy, to the fullest extent, their new and improved bodies.
One Last Step to Complete Your Transformation
When we begin to discuss the idea of surgery to help complete this transformation, those of you that have lost significant weight often express frustration. Considering your history, this reaction is completely understandable. Whether you chose bariatric surgery as a last option or toiled for months to years with an intensive weight-loss program, it is a lengthy and exhausting process. To now be told that body contouring surgery is the only answer often feels insulting; however, it is the truth.
Those who have decided to proceed with surgery after significant weight loss often find the results to be cathartic. In a sense, those annoying areas of hanging skin are daily reminders of a difficult time in their life. Once they are removed, patients feel a real sense of happiness and closure. They have a much easier time exercising, and new doors are opened for clothing options that weren’t previously considered. Post-significant weight loss surgery can be life-changing.
For most people, excess skin and fat are commonly found on the lower portion of the body. In those with significant weight-loss history, this can be extensive, not only on the belly but often on the hips, legs, and back as well.
Solutions: Abdominoplasty, Body Lift, Butt Lift, Thigh Lift, Smartlipo™, VASERlipo®, Cellulaze™, Combination
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck surgery) removes loose skin from the belly and tightens the underlying muscles
- A body lift corrects sagging skin present on the abdomen, hips, buttocks and upper legs
- Thigh lift surgery eliminates hanging skin from the inner thighs
- Smartlipo™ is a liposuction technology that provides more controlled and customized fat while tightening the skin
- VASERlipo® removes fat less traumatically, and it can also be used with fat transfer procedures
- Cellulaze™ improves the appearance of cellulite on the hips and thighs
- Dramatic results
- Relieves skin irritation and painful chafing from hanging skin
- Restores a more desirable figure while yielding natural-appearing results
- Provides a more toned and defined abdomen, buttocks, and leg contour
- Can restore strength to weakened abdominal muscles
After weight loss, most women experience a significant loss of volume in their breasts, leading to an empty and deflated appearance. Men are often left with excess skin, fat, and/or glandular tissue on the chest.
Solutions: Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, Combination, Gynecomastia Surgery, Liposuction, Combination
- Breast augmentation uses implants to increase breast volume and improve breast shape
- Breast lift surgery restores firmness and a youthful appearance to sagging, pendulous breasts
- Combining both procedures can help restore fullness to the breasts and strengthen weakened, sagging breast tissue
- Gynecomastia surgery for men removes excess tissue to produce a firmer, more masculine chest
- Liposuction may be combined with gynecomastia surgery or used alone to remove excess fat from the chest
- Improves breast shape and size to improve body proportions
- Enhances the appearance of cleavage and creates better breast definition for women
- Lifts the breasts, resulting in a perkier appearance
- Restores support to weakened breast tissue
- Achieves more defined pectoral contours for men
- With our techniques, scars are easily concealed
Excess skin results in an unsightly upper arm appearance from the armpits to the elbows.
Solutions: Arm Lift, Smartlipo™, Combination
- Smartlipo™ assisted liposuction removes excess arm fat and tightens skin for those with mild skin laxity
- Arm lift surgery eliminates hanging skin (“bat wings”) present between the armpit and the elbow
- Combining an arm lift with Smartlipo™ assisted liposuction provides an even greater improvement by eliminating excess skin and fat and contouring all areas of the upper arm.
- Eliminates both excess skin and fat from the arms
- Restores a more toned and defined arm appearance
- Gets rid of any “flabbiness”
What do you desire?
- A Leaner, More Toned Appearance
- To Feel Lighter and More Fit
- Elimination of Painful Skin Irritations and Chafing
- Confidence and Comfort in Your Body
A Leaner, More Toned Appearance
During your weight-loss journey, you have likely spent significant time building and toning your muscles.
However, your muscles may still be hidden under excess skin and residual fat. By surgically removing the excess skin, the tone and contours that you worked so hard to achieve will be visible. Restoring definition and slimming your physique improves the way clothing fits and enhances your overall quality of life.
To Feel Lighter and More Fit
It can be shocking how much weight you retain after your weight loss in the form of residual fat and excess skin.
Many patients feel that ridding their bodies of this extra, unwanted tissue helps them feel lighter and more free. Eliminating skin also allows you to engage in many types of activities and exercise with greater ease.
Elimination of Painful Skin Irritations and Chafing
Losing weight does not always equate with feeling more confident.
The ultimate goal of corrective surgery after significant weight loss is to help you complete your journey. With the addition of body contouring procedures, your improved contours help you find the confidence you lost when you gained weight.
Confidence and Comfort in Your Body
Subcutaneous fat deposits in the face, especially in the cheeks, are essential to a youthful appearance.
Over time, they can become displaced and migrate to a lower position, worsening the appearance of the eyelids, mouth, jawline, and neck. In my practice, I use a face or neck lift procedure to reposition these fat deposits into a more youthful position. Furthermore, I also include VASERlipo™ harvested fat transfer procedures, Smartlipo™ of the neck and jawline, and a blepharoplasty with fat repositioning to ensure a more desirable contour.
What Are Your Concerns?
The length and intensity of your recovery will depend on the extent of correction needed.
Patients universally experience bruising, swelling, and redness following the procedure. Compression garments should be worn following surgery to minimize swelling and improve healing. You will need to limit your physical activity for the first four weeks after surgery. Patients can return to work within two weeks of surgery depending on job duties. Most of the post-operative swelling subsides within six weeks, at which time your final results will become much more visible.
Surgery after significant weight loss typically requires longer incisions to provide the correction needed to achieve maximum results.
While I always attempt to minimize potential scarring, it can be impossible to prevent some scars from forming. I also use Embrace® to improve the appearance of scarring after surgery. This technology helps scars heal more quickly and smoothly while also relieving discomfort along the scar line.
The cost of surgery post-significant weight loss varies depending on the extent of correction needed.
Surgical, anesthesia, and hospital fees can also affect the cost of your procedure. The price of your customized procedure will be provided after your consultation.
All body contouring and breast procedures are performed under anesthesia, ensuring safe and painless surgery.
Following your surgery, you might experience some tightness and mild to moderate discomfort, which resolves within four weeks. Oral pain medication and compression garments offer relief, making the recovery period very tolerable.
Before & After Photos
Are multiple areas corrected during one surgery?
Combining procedures into one surgery is recommended. This reduces the number of recovery periods and allows for the greatest amount of change. More extensive cases may require a staged approach with two or three surgeries over several weeks or months.
Will my contouring results be permanent?
Weight gain or loss following surgery can affect your results. Additional weight loss can result in additional loose skin, while weight gain can add back volume in previously reduced areas. For that reason, I recommend that all my patients be at or near their goal weight before considering body contouring surgery.
Do the procedures correct poorly positioned navels and areolas?
Sagging skin can often cause your navel as well as your nipples and areolas to have undesirable placement. I can reposition these features during your contouring procedures to restore a natural appearance.
Will any of these procedures erase stretch marks?
Many patients have a noticeable improvement in the appearance of stretch marks after surgery. Procedures that remove skin, such as abdominoplasty, remove a majority of stretch marks with the excess skin. Stretch marks that remain after surgery will have an improved appearance.
Copyright © 2013 Aspen Institute of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery